- Featured Events
- Today's Events
- Browse by Type
- Browse by Subject
- Browse by Organization
Anesthesia Grand Rounds: “Impaired Providers Now it is a Patient Safety Issue: What Works and What Does Not”
Michael G. Fitzsimons, M.D., FCCP
Director, Division of Cardiac Anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine
Massachusetts General Hospital
Global Learning Objective(s):
- Compare current practice with best evidence and guidelines to identify areas for improvement.
- Critically analyze emerging data from clinical research and latest guidelines to formulate best practice models for patient care.
Session Learning Objective(s):
- Define the incidence of substance use disorders (SUD) among anesthetists and others healthcare providers
- Discuss the impact of substance abuse on individuals, family, society with other healthcare providers
- Discuss the literature on efforts to reduce substance abuse including surveillance, control, and education with colleagues, trainees, and administrators
- Debate the benefits and risks of urine drug screening as a means to reduce substance abuse.
- Summarize current data on the impact of urine drug screening in a single institution.