- Featured Events
- Today's Events
- Browse by Type
- Browse by Subject
- Browse by Organization
ICME Summer Workshop: Introduction to Mathematical Optimization
XCME005 - Introduction to Mathematical Optimization
This course introduces mathematical optimization and modeling, with a focus on convex optimization. We will use convexity as a starting point from which to consider some nonconvex problem types. The course will have a practical focus, with participants formulating and solving optimization problems early and often using standard modeling languages and solvers. By introducing common models from machine learning and other fields, the course aims to make students comfortable with optimization modeling so that they may use it for rapid prototyping and experimentation in their own work.
We'll cover simple but useful optimization algorithms such as gradient descent for when problems become too large for black-box solvers and cover majorization-maximization as a useful framework to view optimization algorithms for both convex and non-convex problems. Parallel and stochastic gradient descent will be covered in the contexts of distributed and large-scale optimization. Time permitting, we will also discuss methods to solve nonconvex models for nonnegative matrix factorization, matrix completion, and neural networks. Students should be comfortable with linear algebra, differential multivariable calculus, and basic probability and statistics. Experience with Python will be helpful, but not required.
- Varieties of mathematical optimization
- Convexity of functions and sets
- Convex optimization modeling with CVXPY
- (Stochastic) gradient descent and basic distributed optimization
- In-depth examples from machine learning, statistics and other fields
- Applications of bi-convexity and non-convex gradient descent
The ICME offers summer workshops to students, partners, and the wider community (first come first served, in that order). These day-long workshop happen from August 14-18, 2017, from 9:00am to 4:45 pm. To view other workshop descriptions, or to get general information about the ICME Summer Workshop Series, click here.
ICME Summer Workshops are open to participants 18 years and older. If you are under the age of 18 and would like to participate, please contact the program administrator.
- Please note that these are not Stanford for-credit courses.
- Stanford academic and non-academic staff may register under the 'Faculty' ticket type.
- Room locations, information on what to bring, and directions to campus will be provided to those who register in advance of each workshop.
- These workshops are open to participants 18 years and older. If you are under the age of 18 and would like to participate, please inquire with email@example.com
- If you have questions, please contact the ICME via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Please contact ICME
- Tuesday, August 15, 2017
9:00 am – 4:45 pm
- On the Stanford campus. Location will be shared with registrants.
- General Public, Students, Members
- (650)724-3313, email@example.com
- More info:
- Visit this website