- Featured Events
- Today's Events
- Browse by Type
- Browse by Subject
- Browse by Organization
Shaolin: Ancient Wisdom in the Modern Age
A cultural exchange examining the physiological and psychological benefits of meditation will be led by senior leaders from the Shaolin Temple in China, and will include collaborative programs with members of the Stanford community. Topics will include the history, elements, and benefits of Shaolin arts and culture, effects of stress in modern life, the role of qi in wellness, meditation and the mind/body connection. The integration of Chan (Zen) wisdom and Shaolin Kung Fu, a moving meditation, will be demonstrated in a performance by visiting Shaolin Monks from China, as well as students (faculty/staff) from Stanford's own Shaolin Kung Fu class, offered through the School of Medicine's Health Improvement Program.
* Learn about the history of the Shaolin Temple, the founding of Chan (Zen) Buddhism, and the development of Kung Fu, Shaolin medicine and the arts from Master Shi YanKai, Monastic Supervisor and Inheritor of Shaolin Kung Fu, and Master Shi YanLin, Director of Shaolin Pharmacy Bureau and Inheritor of Shaolin Medicine. Both are senior leaders from China's Shaolin Temple.
* See how Stanford is collaborating with the Shaolin Temple. Speakers include Dr. David Spiegel, Willson Professor and Associate Chair of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, Director of the Center on Stress and Health, and Medical Director of the Stanford Center for Integrative Medicine; and Tia Rich, PhD, Stanford Senior Specialist in Health Promotion, and Director of Contemplation by Design program.
* Explore the mind/body connection, stress reduction, the role of qi in wellness, and meditation. Guest speaker Chade-Meng Tan will talk about his Chan (Zen) practice experience. He is a Google pioneer, an award-winning engineer, a New York Times best-selling author, a thought leader and philanthropist, and is also quite funny!
* Participate in a discussion with the Shaolin Monks, and Stanford speakers.
*Enjoy a Kung Fu demonstration from the Shaolin Monks, and Stanford's Shaolin Kung Fu class, offered through the School of Medicine's Health Improvement Program.
- Friday, October 9, 2015.
4:00 pm – 6:30 pm
Free admission. Everyone welcome. No reservations necessary. Underground visitor parking nearby.
- General Public, Faculty/Staff, Students, Alumni/Friends
- 650-498-7869, firstname.lastname@example.org