Let's Have an Awesome Time Doing Science:
Discussions On Getting the Most Out of a Challenging Career
As graduate students and postdocs, we have chosen an important and exciting yet challenging profession. Periods of thrilling discovery punctuate stretches of stress and grueling work. A healthy work-life balance between can often be difficult to maintain. The pressures of publication and competition weigh heavily. How can we glean insight into successful approaches to these complex issues? Who better to learn from than some of the most respected scientists in academia?
The goal of the symposium is to bring high-profile, thoughtful researchers to speak to students and postdocs on subjects that aren't addressed often enough but are crucial to our development and well-being as scientists. Each speaker (list follows) will highlight one or more of the themes below as a starting point to describing a set of philosophies and approaches to science. This concept has been adapted from a similar event at UC Berkeley's campus.
- Community/Open Access
- Ami Bhatt - Assistant Professor - Stanford University Department of Hematology and Genetics
- Arlene Blum - Executive Director - The Green Science Policy Institute
- Pat Brown - CEO and Founder - Impossible Foods
- Peter Kim - Professor - Stanford University Department of Biochemistry
- Sarah Stanley - Assistant Professor - UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- Tim Stearns - Professor - Stanford University Department of Biology
- Julie Theriot - Professor - Stanford University Department of Biochemistry
This event brought to you by BioAIMS, SBSA, and the Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs.
Register online at this link: https://stanforduniversity.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6mriowgiXvN86j3